Preparation: 60 mins
Cooking: 45 mins
For 2 servings
- 120 ml water
- 100 g gluten flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- In a bowl first mix all dry ingredients. Then add water and tomato paste and knead quickly with your hands to a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into two equally sized pieces. Flatten the pieces to about 1 cm each and and wrap each one individually in baking paper. Let them sit in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and insert a bamboo steamer.
- Cook the two pieces wrapped in baking paper covered in a bamboo steamer for 45 minutes. Then let them cool down completely.
- The seitan can now be processed as desired: For example, in a pan or on the grill as a steak; with a breadcrumb coating of breadcrumbs to make a cutlet; or in fine strips as gyros.
About this recipe
Seitan is one of the versatile meat alternatives that you can also easily make yourself. With just a few ingredients you can get vegan steaks, schnitzels or gyros.